The Tabor Boy Project

Peter Mello asked if I had any interesting stories about old Yumping Yimminy. Here goes.

We were sailing into Edgartown one hot spring day passing all the townies
jumping into the channel by the ferry to Chappy. Capt. Carlsen pointed
out how dangerous the tidal race was there and in the inner harbor were
we anchored. He taught us that the sea was always dangerous and must
be respected. However, he was not a spoil-sport so after we anchored out
went the spinnaker boom but also lots of ropes attached to the the deck
cleats fore, midships and aft to grap on to if the current was too strong.
A great and cooling time was had by all.

Beware of the tidal race in Edgartown.

Views: 230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing this Capt Carlsen story. As time passes it becomes more and more important to capture as many of these stories as possible to document Tabor's rich maritime heritage. The accumulation of these small vingnettes is what creates the overall story and keeps the legacy of the characters alive. Thanks for being a Tabor Boy Project Storyteller.
I sailed with Captain Carlson as part of the schooner crew for 4 years in the fall (1945-1948) as well as in summer 1948. I was also on the wrestling team in the winter where Cap served as coach. My most memorable moment occured in Fall 1945 on the last day when we were putting the Schooner Tabor Boy away for the season in Fairhaven. As a freshman I was below scrubbing in the main cabin when I heard Cap talking sorrowfully to himself in his cabin saying "When captain leaves his vessel he must take all his belongings with him." I realized later that the schooner had been sold and That I had heard Cap saying goodbye to his vessel. By the next spring Edlu had been delivered to Tabor and I sailed on her for the next 3 years. Edlu was a fine sailboat, but not the ship that was the old Tabor Boy.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Peter A. Mello.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service